I am a Lisbon-born and Amsterdam-based theatre maker, tutor and writer.
In Lisbon, I studied Philosophy and Theatre Studies, and worked as a theatre actor, director and playwright. Articulating theoretical practice with artistic research, I was driven by inhabiting other maker's worlds, such as those of Edward G. Craig or Tadeusz Kantor. In Amsterdam, I studied at DasArts researching the politics of acting, experimenting with participation, scores, conceptual art, video and playwriting. Departing from my degrees, I have also completed a PhD in Utrecht University about ‘theatre without actors’ where, departing from performances enacted by participants, non-actors, animals, technology, objects and natural phenomena, I reflected on new forms of agency in contemporary forms of staging the real.
In my recent artistic work, I have been focusing on the speculative gap between what is known and what can be imagined, experimenting with artifices of theatre as way of enacting the super-natural, and with the performative potential of language.
I’m interested in how things are made appear artistically in the continuum between perception, imagination and memory, and I am moved by how art is able to make- believe.
This weblog is an online archive of art work and processes by Pedro Manuel, namely theatre and performance and, occasionally, objects and installations.
To access theoretical writings please visit Pedro in Academia.edu or in PaperPedro (portuguese only).
You are very welcome to visit an ongoing image collection on SaveAZ or get social on Facebook, Vimeo or Cont. Perf. Network
contact
.
